2. Arrival at the airport and transfer to BarcellonaPozzo di Gotto
In Sicily there are three airports. Two main, one in Catania, second in Palermo and the third is in Trapani.
If you have booked private transfer, on the day of arrival there will be someone waiting for you at the airport in the arrivals area with card ERASMUS+. You will be taken to BarcellonaPozzo di Gotto by private transfer.
If your luggage gets lost, give your baggage claim tags to the responsible officer at the airport.
Give him EProjectConsult’s telephone number and address:
Ass. Art. Cult. “A Rocca”
Via TCP Arcodaci, 48
98051 Barcellona P.G. (Me), Italy
tel. +39 090 2130696
cell. +39 3495807960
Catania’s airport is almost 2 hour far from Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.
Palermo’s airport is almost 3 hours far from Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.
Birg’s airport in Trapani is almost 4 hours far from Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.
If you don’t have private transfer :
from Catania airport there are buses to Messina (http://www.saisautolinee.it/ ) and then from Messina you
can reach Barcellona P.G. by bus (http://www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it/) or train
3. Arrival in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto (first two days)
- When you arrive in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto there will be someone waiting for you to show you where EProjectConsult office is and to take you to your accommodation.
- On the second day you will attend a meeting at EProjectConsult office to welcome you and give you the main information regarding your stay and your internship in Italy. After the welcome meeting you will have a small city tour of Barcellona P.G. to get to know the city, and you will be introduced to the companies.
4. Do I need Italian SIM card?
Italian SIM card
You do not need Italian SIM card, you can use your number. When you want to call someone you need to put +39 on the beginning.
If you want to have Italian number, there are 4 main companies (TIM, Vodafone, Wind, Tre ) you can buy a SIM card from.
Prices differ to some degree, but generally the card itself will cost around 5 euros, plus the package another ~10 euros a month, depending on your demands (for ~10 euros a month, you can get around 2 GB internet, and ~200 texts and call minutes [to Italian numbers only]). Vodafone offers 300 minutes to international number and 3 GB of Internet for 10€ per month.
Note that, purchasing a SIM in Italy requires presentation of proper identification, such as a valid passport or European ID card.
5. What should I do in case I get lost?
In case you get lost
Just ask for the “Duomo”, (the Cathedral) or “Via Roma”, which is the main street of Barcellona P.G., from where you can easily find your way back to safety. You can also use the “Help me!” card if necessary, which you receive during the presentation after your arrival.
Help me card
“Sono straniero, non parlo italiano e sono in difficoltà, per favore aiutami. Sono alloggiato a Barcellona”
“I don’t speak Italian and I’m in troubles, please HELP ME. I’m living in Barcellona”
0039 3495807960 (Nino)
0039 3490693698 (Federica)
6. How I will get to my internship place? When I will get all the information?
You will be introduced to the company personally by our staff, where you will have the chance to ask all of your questions. We will arrange your working hours and other rules. Remember to dress up nice and to smile 🙂 Don’t feel pressure, they are all experienced and looking forward to work with you!
7. About my accomodation
According to your choice, we can accommodate you either in one of our flats or in hotel.
- Flat: depending on the flat, 2-4-6 people can live together. All of them are all fully equipped, with bathrooms, kitchen and possibility to cook for yourself. You can find both single and double rooms.
8. Is there Internet in the flat?
If you need, we can also provide Wi-Fi in our flats. This service is not automatically included for the accommodation.
9. Sockets and Plugs in Italy
In Italy the standard voltage is 230 V.
In Italy the power sockets used are of type F / L:
Type F: This socket also works with plug C and E
Type L: This socket works with plug C
It is possible to buy an adapter in supermarket and electric shop.
10. What will I eat for half/full board or breakfast?
Brakfast can be Italian (coffee+croissant or granite+brioche) or continenatal (bread, ham, cheese, cereals, milk, sausage, scrambled eggs)
Half board is lunch or dinner in our local restaurants where you receive first and second meal.
Full board is lunch and dinner in our local restaurants.
11. Where can I buy food?
The main supermarket is called ARD, located near to all of our flats (Via Marconi).You can find many small local shops for bread, sweets or fruits, we recommend you to try them – they are delicious!
ARD – Via Giorgio Amendola
Tuodi – Via Industriale
Lidl – Contrada Saia d’Agri
Sigma – Via Fondaco Nuovo, 31
12. Siesta and opening time of shops
The shops in Sicily are open from 8:30/09:00 until 13:00 and from 16:00 until 20:30, from Monday to Saturday. Large department stores and supermarkets are open all day.
Please, keep in mind, that SIESTA TIME starts at 13.00/13:30 and finishes at 16.00/16:30! During this time most of the shops and markets are closed.
Each Saturday morning you can find a big open air Bazaar in Barcellona P.G.
13. How to get around the city
In Barcellona P.G. you won’t need a bus ticket or pass if you stay in the city. You can easily walk everywhere in 10-15 minutes. We are going to show you around in your first days to get familiar with the city and the useful shops, services and sights. Also, as the city is small, it is safe as well and they are used to foreigners. Don’t feel shy to ask for help, locals will help you in every way they can.
14. How to get to the seaside
The seaside near Barcellona P.G. called Calderàis 3 kms far from the city center, which is 30-40 minutes’ walk, straight down on one street.
You can also take a bus, number 2 at the local bus station (corner of Via Papa Giovanni XXIII and Via San Giovanni). The ticket costs 1,20€/one way which you can buy in the fruit shop named „Fruttivendolo” at the bus station. It is better to buy it for 2 ways at the same time, as the bus drivers can’t sell you ticket on your way back.
Get off next to the anchor (Piazza delleAncore) To go back to city center you can take the bus at the same spot where you got off. (same side as well)
Departure from Barcellona P.G. (Mo-Sat)
7:00 – 9:00 – 10:00 – 12:10 – 12:50 – 14:00 – 14:45 – 15:20 – 16:00 – 17:30 – 19:30
Departure from Calderà from the anchor (Mo-Sat)
7:15 – 9:15 – 10:15 – 12:25 – 13:05 – 14:15 – 15:00 – 15:35 – 16:15 – 17:45 – 19:45
(On Saturdays the buses stop working earlier and on Sunday there are no buses!)
15. Places to eat and chill-out in Barcellona P.G
You can have lunch in, for example:
- Ristorante “Marius” (Via Paolo Arcodaci, 20)
- Master Chef (Via Ferdinando D’Amico, 9)
- U FUNNU (Piazza San Sebastiano, 10)
- Enotria l’Osteria (Via Umberto I 421)
- Osteria Malarazza (Via Mandanici 71)
- DOP (Piazza Stazione, 22)
- NordSud Creperia (Via San Giovanni, 70)
- Da Carmelo (Via Operai, 66)
From 18:30 to 20:30 you can have an aperitivo. For 5-8 euros you will get one drink and a whole plate with different type of snacks.
In Barcellona you can have an aperitivo (or just drinks) in for example:
- Perditempo (Via Longo, 32)
- Osteria Malarazza (Via Mandanici 71)
- DOP (Piazza Stazione, 22)
- La Piazzeta (Piazza Beppe Alfano)
- Bar “Saint Honoré” (Via Trieste 38)
- il “Tulbar” (Via Luigi De Luca, 96)
16. Where can I buy the souvenirs?
In Barcellona it is easy to find some local food (biscuits, chocolate, pasta) as souvenirs in the shops. You can find bigger range of choice (postcards, magnets, etc.) on excursions, the main touristic cities have all you can imagine.
17. Where can I find the pictures which you took during my internship?
We are going to publish a report about your stay in Sicily on our website at Past Mobility Projects after you left. (http://www.eprojectconsult.com/casa/erasmusplus_eu-learning/past-mobility-projects/) There you will find the pictures taken during work or excursions. Also, you may find pictures during your stay on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/EProjectConsult/?fref=ts)